If you had to describe what makes something "suspenseful" in twenty five words or less - what would it be? What are the feelings that need to be evoked for suspense? Are there particular smells, sight or sounds that are always present.... what sensory triggers equal suspense for you?
Here are the descriptions offered on a dictionary reference site:
sus·pense – noun sus·pense·ful - adjective
1.a state or condition of mental uncertainty or excitement, as in awaiting a decision or outcome, usually accompanied by a degree of apprehension or anxiety.
2.a state of mental indecision.
3.undecided or doubtful condition, as of affairs: For a few days matters hung in suspense.
4.the state or condition of being suspended.
1.a state or condition of mental uncertainty or excitement, as in awaiting a decision or outcome, usually accompanied by a degree of apprehension or anxiety.
2.a state of mental indecision.
3.undecided or doubtful condition, as of affairs: For a few days matters hung in suspense.
4.the state or condition of being suspended.
I know that suspense has been well achieved for me as a reader when at any given moment I am:
* holding my breath
* gripping the chair/doona cover/book cover for dear life
* sweating (no not perspiring - armpits dripping sweat!)
* my heart is racing
* there is ringing in my ears (weird I know...)
* the slightest twang of noise has me leaping for the roof
* I can taste and smell the fight or flight response in the hero/heroine
* I can't read fast enough to find out what is going to happen next...
So dear reader... what does it for you - suspense wise - what MUST be present to have you wanting more (no matter the physiological agony you are experiencing at the time!!)...
AK
4 comments:
I think you've said it pretty well. There's nothing better than gripping that book for dear life but not being able to put the bloody thing down. You don't want to know if the serial killer gets his next victim but you can't NOT know. *sigh*
Racing heart, sweaty palms, no air in your lungs, eyes wide and fingernails digging into whatever it is you have a death grip on. Oh, and the goose bumps, I love a good suspense novel. But then I'm really big on romance so if I can find an author who combines both.... Don't come looking for me, I'll be busy.
Great post AK!
RC
Damn, like RC, I think that's a pretty good list. Physiologically, I think that's as good as it gets and if it's anymore intense than that I can't handle it and will shrug off the feelings with 'it's only a book or a movie'.
I don't think the ringing of the ears is weird at all. I think many of the responses you've listed fit fear very well. I've certainly felt real flight or fight type of fear, and the ringing of the ears, or in my case, it's a loud thumping first and a ringing later (maybe the ringing comes because the thumping almost makes me go deaf), fits that response.
I think suspense is a state of unknowing and waiting/anticipating to know. I get a thrill trying to figure it out, and when combined with the fear factor it's a definite adrenalin rush.
But I think you are talking about a scary suspense. You can get suspense without the scary. Eg, you can find suspense in a soap opera; you're about to find out something important and then there's a bloody commercial break to leave you hanging.
I like definition No 2 - a state of mental indecision. He, he, he, gosh my life is very suspenseful at the moment...
Hi Amanda
Hmm, twenty five words or less!! Shitting myself... that's less than twenty five!! Can I say that word on a blog????
If I can't you can moderate me!! I've always wanted to be a rebel!!
No, seriously, I think your list pretty well sums it up. I know I've been gripped by suspense when I forget to pick the kids up from the school bus stop because I'm so wound up writing a suspenseful scene, or people are talking to me when I'm reading a book and I don't even hear them coz I'm so caught up in the scene. It's all suspense.
What makes a scene suspenseful??? Good question. I think as you write it, if you feel your gut clench - it's a good indication you've nailed a suspenseful scene. It's the same if you write a sad scene and by the end of it you're crying. Probably means the reader will too. I think at the end of the day you have to trust your own judgement and be guided by your own visceral reaction to the passage.
Gail :)
Hi Amanda, I have been awol big time and have only just linked on and finally found you. LOOKIN GREAT GIRL!
I love the new look and will see you round, h and I have a cool site link on my blog I'm sure you'll enjoy
have fun
kez
Post a Comment